.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Adlerian Theory Critique

Personal Perspective
There is much in this theory that I appreciate and will likely incorporate into my own therapeutic concept and practice. First, the holistic view of the individual, "contending that people can only be understood as integrated and complete human beings" (Corey, 2009) is, in my opinion, essential to the therapeutic process. We do not exist in a vacuum and therefore cannot be properly understood without due consideration to all aspects of our existence that provide potential or actual impact on who we are both communally and individually.
I also appreciate the notion that behavior is purposeful and the emphasis on individual choice and responsibility. These concepts and the idea that "genetics and heredity are not as important as what we choose to do with the abilities and limitations we possess" (Corey, 2009), appeal to my western, individualistic mindset. Although I am a firm believer in the election of the those mercifully chosen by God for salvation, I also see that God has allowed man freedom to choose between right and wrong, good and evil, as demonstrated in Deuteronomy 30:19, Psalm 25:12, Proverbs 3:31, Isaiah 7:15, all of which speak specifically of human choice. Additionally, most of the entire New Testament is dedicated to calling believers to choose holiness over their old fleshly ways.
Along the same lines, I agree with the notion that internal determinants of behavior include values, beliefs, attitudes, goals, interests and an individual, subjective perception of reality. As noted in my comments about the Psychoanalytic Theory, the manner in which a man thinks determines who he is and we are not always aware of the unconscious thoughts that determine our choices and our behavior.

References

Corey, G. (2009). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy. (8th ed.). USA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home