.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Humbled

I had a hundred things I was planning to post today - and I'm sure I'll get back to some of them later - but the Lord stopped me in my tracks on the way out of church today. It was so unexpected and so profoundly humbling that I just felt I had to share. By God's grace, this event involves me - but it is not even close to being about me . . .

The sermon in the main service this morning was about Paul and his total self-sacrificing commitment to ministry. It was one of those sermons you come away feeling thoughtful and challenged from - but for me it was not "life altering" - it was just a really good reminder of proper priorities. I won't go into the whole sermon here as that is not the point - I'll BLog that later.

After the service dismissed, I was waiting at the curb for the traffic signal to allow myself and the bizzillion other people to cross the street to the parking lot. One man, standing about 3 feet away from me, was still mulling over the sermon. Outloud and to no one in particular, he asked how anyone could ever hope to live up to the self-sacrificing example Paul had left us. I commented back, "One moment at a time." The gentleman smiled thoughtfully and agreed.

After a few moments, he mentioned (this time directly to me) that it would be easier to live rightly, even one moment at at time, if he'd had the same "up against the wall under the bright light" conversion experience as Paul. I replied that his conversion was no less miraculous than Paul's - Paul's conversion may have been a bit more showy, but the work Christ did in him was no less miraculous than the work He'd done for this gentleman.

The guy seemed surprised to hear that. He commented that it was so amazing how someone could say something so simple and suddenly you can gain a much deeper understanding.

The light changed; we crossed the street.

As I was walking down the sidewalk, thinking how grateful I was that the Lord had been so gracious as to use me to encourage one of His children, the man came up behind me and stopped me. He just touched my arm and said that he wanted to thank me for saying what I did - then he took off his sunglasses and wiped away tears. He hugged me - I hugged back, struggling now with my own teary eyes - and then he left.

I don't know who came away from that encounter more blessed - but I know I came away profoundly humbled. To touch the heart of one of God's beloved - to have the words of my mouth used to bring such a level of comfort and encouragement to a brother in Christ. This is a priviledge I know I do not deserve . . . but I'll take it! And I'll use it to encourage the rest of you - if the Lord puts you in a situation - even just casual conversation - where you can speak His truth - DO IT! You never know what work He is doing in the heart of the other person. I had never seen that man before and I don't know if I will ever see him again - but I do know that we both had a Holy Spirit encounter in that brief few moments.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi sweetheart, I want you to know that I am the one that is blessed. I do love sharing your life this way. tell everyone hi for me. mom loves to sit in on your conversations.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Eowyn7 said...

Love you, Mom! :-)

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home