.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Postmodern Approaches Critique

Personal Perspective
These are both very intriguing therapies and I believe several aspects can be incorporated into an integrative approach. I can see several concepts and techniques which I will incorporate into my own approach though I cannot see myself taking any postmodern approach as my foundational therapeutic focus.
There are several things I appreciate about these therapeutic approaches. First, the concept of the therapist as expert in the process of change but "not knowing" in relation to the client. We really don't know the people who come into our office until we allow them to tell us who they are. At the same time, I don't agree that the client is always the expert on what their problem is - mankind is notorious in overlooking his own failings. I also disagree with the idea that all people are "healthy, competent, resourceful, and possess the ability to construct solutions." Those who do not know Christ are blind (Ps. 146:8; Matt. 15:14) and lack wisdom (Rom. 1:21-22). Those who do know Christ realize that it is only through the power of the Spirit that we can do or be anything of value (Phil. 4:13; Gal. 6:3).
I also appreciate the focus on solutions and the optimistic approach to change. The evident effectiveness of SFBT in treating domestic violence offenders (Corey, 2009, p. 402) is encouraging. I disagree with the concept of personifying the problem as I believe this tends to allow the client to deny responsibility for the choices they make that contribute to the development of the problem.

References
Corey, G. (2009). Theory and practice of counseling and psychotherapy. (8th ed.). USA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.


Hinkley, P. (n.d.). Reality therapy presentation. Retrieved July 28, 2009 from http://www.liberty.edu/media/1413/COUN510/Postmodern_Approaches/index.html.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home