.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Critique of Jay Adams' Biblical Counseling Theory and Process


Conclusion
    Adams focus on the primacy and sufficiency of Scripture must be appreciated and valued as a vital contribution to truly "Christian" counseling.  His model of the therapeutic process is, however, severely limited in application and does not adequately account for a Biblical method of counseling the unredeemed.  His emphasis on the goal and focus of change is also a worthy contribution and should be the focus of any truly Christian counselor but his assumptions regarding integration and cognition are invalid and Biblically unsupportable.
 

References

Adams, J. (1986). How to help people change: The four-step Biblical process. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
 

Hawkins, R. (n.d.) [Speaker]. The contribution of Jay Adams. Lynchburg, VA: Liberty University.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donn R Arms said...

How can I obtain a copy of the lecture by Hawkins that you reference?

6:23 AM  
Blogger Eowyn7 said...

I'm afraid those are accessible to students only - and then, I think, only to students in that class during that term. Sorry about that. If you'd like more context, let me know and I'll see what I can do about typing out the section and posting that for you.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greetins I am also a student a LU,, are you in the currenty 507 class,,,? My name is mario Samaniego...
let me know

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greetings,
I am also a current student at LU,, are you in the ongoing 507 course,, ? let me know my name is Mario Samaniego

1:44 PM  
Blogger Eowyn7 said...

Hi Mario,

Yes, I am currently in the 507 course. I don't see your name in our class roster so we must have different teachers.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home