.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Discipline - and a brief look at John 17

If you follow me on Facebook, you might know that Ron (my husband) and I are embarking on a new adventure with Young Living essential oils.  As part of that, I (we) jumped into what they call "boot camp", which is a disciplined program designed to help us get a strong start in building what will become our business.  One of the things the particular Young Living group I'm a part of emphasizes is balance and right priorities - God first, family 2nd, church/others 3rd, business 4th.

Why does this matter?  Because it is entering this boot camp that has spurred me to greater discipline in my personal spiritual walk.  I have committed to certain work hours and activities BUT, more importantly, I have committed to NOT work on the business until I have had time in the Word and, to the extent possible, blogged about it.  There is no point building a business if my relationship with Christ is negatively affected by that activity - business is temporary, my relationship with Christ is eternal and FAR more important.

So, this morning I opened my Bible to John 17.  I know that skips 18 & 19 (which I have also read) but it was the passage that was preached on yesterday in church and it has not let me go yet.  I needed to read it thoroughly - and I may get stuck here for the next few days while it all soaks in.  Here's my thoughts this morning:

Purpose - in this prayer, Christ addresses first & foremost His purpose and in doing so sets the example and displays our purpose.  V.1 - He asks the Father to glorify Him THAT He may glorify the Father. V4 - He has glorified the Father - how? by doing the work He was sent to do. V5 He asks to be glorified with the Father - to be restored to the glory He had before taking on human form.  Key word - Glory or Glorify.  

Why did Christ come?  To provide a sacrifice so we could be cleansed from our sin and our relationship with the Father could be restored? Yes, but WHY did He provide that sacrifice?  To bring glory to the Father.  If you have not read "Desiring God" by John Piper, I HIGHLY recommend this study.  Through it Pastor Piper shows how, throughout the Bible, ALL things that happened - from the fall to the cross to the second coming to the millenial kingdom - ALL is meant for the ultimate and final goal of bringing glory to God - and it is a beautiful and loving and perfect goal.

Our purpose - to love others as we love ourselves - why? to bring glory to God; Our purpose - to serve those in need - why? to bring glory to God; Our purpose - to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Savior - why? to bring glory to God: Our purpose - to be faithful and obedient children - why? to bring glory to God; Our purpose - to endure suffering and hardship - why? to bring glory to God; and etc.

The end purpose - the end reason for the existence of mankind - our deepest need and our greatest joy is found in fulfilling our purpose - what we were designed for - to bring glory to God.

Oh, there is so much more, but it will have to wait for tomorrow as I must exercise a little discipline and get to the next commitment I have made :-)

I hope you are encouraged and challenged by these thoughts - GO and bring glory to God today!  :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home