.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Long time no BLog!

Hi All,

Well, it's been eons since I've posted anything of any substance (not counting the great pics of my new niece just uploaded today!). I miss writing and, now that school is on hold for a bit, will make some time for it again.

Currently I'm at work on my lunch break so I'll make this post short - it's really more of a "Hi, I'm back" thing anyway :-)

So- a brief catch up on the Lord's work in my life . . .

Last summer I was asked to consider taking over or co-leading (with my mom) a ministry to single women at our church. It was a tough decision because I was about 1/2 way through with pursuing my Master's Degree and that is something I'm still VERY interested in completing. Also, the beautiful woman who had started this ministry left VERY BIG SHOES to fill . . . it was pretty intimidating!

There were some strains involved with school that had to be considered - money had gotten tight - school loans just weren't covering my basic expenses and the amount of the school loans themselves, of course, were getting kind of scary. Also, the classes I was taking were (1) not really related to anything I felt relevant to Biblical Counseling and (2) really tough - thus, hurting my GPA.

The big one there was Statistics. Oh My Heavens! I was never great at math anyway and this was just wrenching to do on-line. I probably would have done better in a classroom with that one but in the end, what do statistics really mean when you're one-on-one counseling anyway??? I mean really - the Bible applies - period. I don't know . . . I suppose there is some value in knowing which forms of therapy have worked best on average but the individual is not an average - I think choosing or designing a therapy should be first and foremost Holy Spirit led.

Anyway, all that to say, I was getting a bit frustrated with the "professional" over "Biblical" aspect of the counseling program I was pursuing. Add to that the fact that I had been working on my Master's degree for 18 months straight - without a break - and I was pretty ready to take some time off anyway.

After consulting with several wise counselors - some who knew me well, some who's basic wisdom I trusted well whether or not they knew me personally - and I came to the conclusion that, when faced with the question of whether to continue preparing for ministry or to jump into the ministry I was preparing for - it was time to jump :-)

So, now my mom and I co-lead God's Gals ministry at our church. God's Gals reaches out to all single women - whether never married or divorced or widowed or just attending alone. I was surprised to see how great the need was at our church! So many women longing for friendship and connection but unable to find it within the typical family/couple-oriented church. And these women are HUNGRY for the Word and minister to each other, the church body, and the community so beautifully!! They are a HUGE blessing in my life and my mom's too (my co-leader).

I'm not a perfect ministry leader by any means - in fact, this whole experience is very humbling. I see a MUCH greater need for prayer and daily study of God's Word (as opposed to the "Good Morning Lord" and 2 minute daily devotional He's usually lucky to get out of me). I am learning and growing as a result of this ministry involvement and I'm looking forward to seeing what the Lord will do with this ministry as I grow into a decent leader and as we all follow the Lord down this path.

Well, lunch break is up so that's it for now. Hopefully I'll post a lot more regularly now :-)

Till next time, keep livin' for the glory of our King!
Deb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home