.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Friday, December 09, 2005

"Christmas"/"Holiday" Rant

O.K. Time to speak up on this cuz it finally hit home today. This whole deal about businesses opting to use the word "Holiday" (which actually refers to the whole season of holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) in place of the word Christmas is out of hand and downright UNFAIR. They didn't replace "Thanksgiving" or "New Years", just "Christmas".

Now, here's why I'm really peeved about it tonight. At work, I sent out a notice about our upcoming "Christmas" Potluck. Later that day, I was cautioned that future emails about this event should refer to it as holiday. Now, the person advising me of this was NOT trying to be mean or judgemental - they are in a position that requires them to consider protecting the company and using the term "Christmas" when we know it may offend some of the folks in the company puts the company at a higher risk exposure for legal problems. I'm not upset with that person - in fact, I really like that person and I do agree it is probably better for the company that I be a little more politically correct.

Driving home tonight, it started bothering me that the same courtesy I'm asked to show to others is NOT reciprocated by those around me. There are two gentlemen who have desks in the same office as mine - one is always saying S--- and the other is always using far more foul language. Both of those guys and a couple from the warehouse and a couple from the inside sales desk freely discuss offensive acts and share offensive jokes within my hearing. All of these guys know these things offend me.

But I can't use the word "Christmas"?

How come CHRISTIANS are the ones who have to roll over and play dormat in EVERY aspect. Both in refraining from offending others while biting our tongues when others offend us! Foul language & "course jesting" flies through the airwaves at us everywhere we turn - on over-loud radios (they call it "music" which is an insult to the term), in everyday course language we have to overhear because we're in the same room and not deaf, on TV, in billboards glaringly posted so you can't help but see. But how dare WE use the phrase "Christmas"! ????????

The problem, of course, is not the word "Christmas" - it's just the first half of the word, "Christ". Any other word would never be questioned - but the name of Christ is powerful and the enemy is bent on wiping it from our mouth and mind. We MUST fight back. We must use the name of Christ in every possible situation - exalting the name of Christ and glorifying Christ at every opportunity. Sharing the gospel of Christ in casual conversation, speaking of the goodness of Christ, sharing the blessings Christ has poured out upon us, discussing how we depend on Christ in our times of trial.

I, for one, refuse to roll over and shut up. I'll respect the company, but I intend on finding creative ways to fight back - starting with a talk about fairness in regards to limitations on self-expression. If they limit my rights to avoid offending others, it should work the other way around as well. Too long have we been silent - time to Roar!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Baker said...

I'm with ya!

Let us know what happens.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Eowyn7 said...

Nothing today - some "hot potatoes" going on so I didn't get to say anything directly. I did get to talk about the subject of foul language, however, in the context of movies. I re-iterated my extreem dislike of certain words and noted there's always a better way to express oneself. Dunno if it's related, but there was a lot less foul language tossed about today . . . we'll see what tomorrow brings :-)

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home