.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Truth - follow up

Last year I wrote about something the pastor of my fellowship group said that disturbed me. (click on the title of this post to go to that entry). Since then I've thought about the issue, meditated on it, tried to reason it out or make excuses for what I believe to be very wrong theology.

Last Sunday one of the leaders in our church who was preaching in place of our pastor said the same thing - that God's love for his children can change. He, however clarified it just a little, stating that it was not God's saving love that changes. He didn't go into detail because the statement was only part of a point he was making on another topic.

So I've been thinking about it. I *know* God does not change. I know He will always love me - He loved me while I was still His enemy - before He brought me to faith - so I have no fear of loosing that. On the other hand, love is an emotion - and it, like all other emotions, can wax and wane and can be displayed in number of different ways depending on a variety of factors.

For example, there is one whom I dearly love - at one point, I thought we would be married. He did some things that changed my love for him. I still love him, but in a completely different way now - and now I know we will not ever marry - that romantic love for him no longer exists in my heart. But I still love him - as a brother, as a friend, as a precious child in the Lord.

Another example, I have/had (depending on how you look at it) a dear friend who married a girl I absolutely adore. We used to be very close, but there was an issue that came up between us. I did everything I could to set things straight, but they no longer choose to be in my company. I still love them both - dearly - but my love has changed from one which aggressively pursues keeping the relationship vital and growing, to one which accepts the barrier and waits and prays for the Lord to work toward the changes required for restoration.

So, I guess, to some extent, it's possible for God's love for me to change. I sent an email to my pastor today to ask for some teaching on this matter. I'll let you know what he says :-)