.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Conference Nuggets

Just a few thoughts, quotes, concepts that meant something to me from this past weekend's Women of Faith conference :-)


One of my favorite speakers was Lisa Harper.  As a single woman a couple of years older than me with an imperfect body like mine, she exuded beauty in buckets!  Her sessions focused on Matthews account of the genealogy of Christ noting that it not only included women (unheard of in that culture) but that they were not perfect women (far worse in that culture).  Tamar deceived and seduced her father-in-law and became pregnant by him; Rahab was a "card-carrying" prostitute; Ruth descended from Lot's lineage . . . a product of incest; Bathsheba was an adulteress.  God wove these "wild women" into His Son's family tree - He *designed* that they should be part of His incarnate form's biological heritage.  Wow.  If them, why not me?  (Jeremiah 1:29)


Shiela Walsh shared an amazing testimony that concluded with her finding herself in a place of humility asking, "How can I stand at the foot of the cross pointing my finger at anyone else?"  Her journey of experiencing a serious betrayal of trust followed by God's call to forgive and His work to mature, strengthen and humble her through the process was humbling and inspiring.  She directed us to Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God" and noted that the Hebrew word translated "Be still" more accurately translates to "Let go."  I was challenged to look at so many hurts, strivings, failures and so forth in my life that I need to let go.


Lisa Welchel shared her story growing up as "Blair" on "The Facts of Life" TV series.  The abuse (not sexual) was horrendous.  No child should have to go through the public scrutiny of her weight like she did - but God allowed it and now her testimony brings healing to so many!  While her entire story was a ministry to my heart, the nugget I took from it was 1st Corinthians 13:12a, "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face" (NASB).  I can relate to Lisa when she talks about looking in the mirror and seeing a failure - a big, fat, unattractive, worthless failure.  But that is not what she was and it is not what I am - such thoughts are lies from the pit of hell meant to incapacitate us in the work God has set before us.


Lisa's story was echoed beautifully in a drama by Allison Allen.  What an amazing dramatist!  Her dialogue with her mirror struck home for me.  Unfortunately there's really no way to capture the essence of her production, which was very powerful, with the written word.


Nicole C. Mullen, a singer, songwriter, dancer was fun to watch.  Although her style of music isn't really my style, her heart was clearly sold out to Jesus!  One thing she said that really caught my attention as she relayed the story of the hemorrhaging woman who was healed when she touched the hem of Christ's garment and then received love and acceptance when He turned to her and touched her heart:  We need to stop coming after Him for what we can get and start coming before Him for what He wants to give.  So true!


Marilyn Meberg was my least favorite speaker, but only because she included some crass sexually oriented jokes that I felt were inappropriate.  Still, though, she had some good words of wisdom to share that impacted me:  In our busy-ness we are often meeting the goals for life but missing the purpose for life.  It is important to look at my life and assess - what am I bowed under the weight of?  As a future Christian Counselor, these words of wisdom were important to me: Psychology can reveal; only God can heal - Knowing does not cure.


Some other tidbits I didn't get the speaker's name associated with in my jots & tiddles:  

When we are feeling unworthy, look to John 3:16 for what God did; 1st John 1:9 for what we need to do; and John 1:12 for the result.


"You have never lived an unloved moment in your life!"  (Now that is powerful!)


"You delight God's heart in a million ways" (quoting Max Lucado)


For bios on all the speakers, click here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home