.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Friday, October 09, 2009

Comparing And Contrasting Family Systems Models

Summary

    Both Wilson and Cloud & Townsend present models for change that are lifestyle oriented rather than "quick-fixes."  Both deal with cognitive processes and require that the individual examine themselves, see the problem area, and apply biblical thinking to bring about positive change.  I find these family systems models complimentary in their overall content.

I prefer the format and organization of Cloud & Townsend's book to that of Wilson.  Cloud & Townsend presented a framework, addressed key issues and then provided clear solution-oriented direction but  I felt that Wilson scattered these three aspects throughout her book.

Lastly, I feel Wilson's book provided a framework to help me better understand my dad, his challenges and how that has affected my development.  Cloud & Townsend have provided an excellent framework for me to begin working more purposefully on making positive changes in myself that will benefit our relationship as well as other familial relationships where I have now identified boundary issues.  The complimentary nature of these models provide both concepts and processes that will be incorporated into my personal counseling theory - such as personal responsibility, boundaries we need to place on ourselves, and the need to examine historical development to discover childhood choices that may be detrimental to adult life.

References
Cloud, H. & Townsend, J. (1999). Boundaries in marriage: Understanding the choices that make or break loving relationships. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

Wilson, S. (2001). Hurt people, hurt people: Hope and healing for yourself and your relationships. Grand Rapids, MI: Discovery House Publishers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home