.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Way of Love (1 Cor. 13)

Yesterday I listened to the first 4 of these sermons (click on title to link to downloads). It has really - REALLY affected my understanding of what it means to truly love someone.

I don't think I've ever heard 1 Cor. 13 exposited before and Tom does a superb job of bringing it home. By setting this passage in the light of it's historical and cultural background (which I'd never heard before) the letter comes alive with new depth and profound impact. I encourage ALL to take time to listen to these valuable, "perspective shaping" sermons.


Here are some of my thoughts on the subject.

I'm beginning to realize this is an essential subject for study and understanding. More-so than(though not to the exclusion of) any other doctrine - or so I'm beginning to think. Here's why.


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, If God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. (1 John 4:7-11)
Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.
What has occurred to me is the need to examine our behaviour in the light of 1 Cor. 13 for two very important reasons: (1) To see if we are indeed in the faith. "He who does not love does not know God." and (2) to see if we are in obedience to Christ as our Lord.

As I listened to the first 4 sermons, and as I listen to the rest of them, I choose to search my heart in regards to my treatment of my Savior and my attitude towards those who have injured me in some way. It's easy to love those who love us - who encourage and motivate and strengthen us - but those who have treated us poorly - whether out of ignorance or selfishness or malice - are a different story. We MUST love and we must love Biblically. That requires a deeper look into the best exposition of what Biblical love is - 1 Cor. 13.

I encourage you to listen to those sermons. Reading the passage is an excellent place to start, but, honestly, it has become so familiar that without a fresh look, the impact and depth of the message can easily be missed.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home