.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Has it been a whole year already???

It has been about a year since my last post and so much has happened. I won't go into details because most of the folks who glance at this blog know the majority of the stuff. What I will do is a brief catch up with, what I hope will be, a glimpse of God's hand through all that has been.

About this time last year I got into a business venture - one of the best and worst decisions I've ever made. On the one hand, it was an amazing learning experience. Technically, I owned my own business and got to learn a lot about what goes into marketing products. I also learned a little about doing independent research before investing in something . . . In short, EcoQuest wasn't the great and awesome "earn thousands a month on part time without doing sales" that I was led to believe. It's marketed to dealers like me with the idea that if you just tell people you have it and what it's done for you, they'll want to buy it. That was wrong on so many levels.

In the end I was $2,500 in debt and sold the my inventory at cost to other dealers who had time and sales saavy to make it work for them. The rest went to friends at nearly cost. Don't get me wrong - it's a GREAT product. I have one of their air purifiers in my home and I LOVE it. My parents have one and my brother got them one for their car - this has completely eliminated a chronic cough my mother had for over a year that the doctors could not figure out. My brother has one in his home to and they love it.

The product is great - the sales . . . not so easy or so great. It required a lot more time and sales saavy than I had to give. End result, my credit took a nose dive and I will *finally* get myself back on track financially by the end of March THIS year. Ouch!

So, that's how I started last year. In May the Lord worked some details out so that I ended up leaving my beloved Dawson Company (good money, great benefits, amazing boss - Anyone who gets to work with them is definitely blessed) and California for a full time position at a church (survival level salary, no benefits, the boss situation is about equal) in Arizona. You see, I have the totally awesome opportunity to work at the same church where my brother is Worship Pastor :-). Worth the cost for sure! Though it brought challenges because of the financial situation.

Jumped out of the frying pan into the fryer on this one - most of my friends would tell you that when I worked at Dawson I worked "too much". Probably true - I'd put in an average of 45 hrs a week even though I was salaried and only had to put in 40. Then there was the church involvement so . . . I was pretty much "always busy". Now all my efforts go into the church and I work 50-60 hours a week on a regular basis (good excuse for not blogging???). It's tough, but it's rewarding too. Especially now as we're preparing for our bi-annual Missions Conference - MAN - this project is so overwhelming!!! The cool thing is, in the end when I look back at this, I'll see God's hand so clearly in each detail that freaks me out in the here & now. My faith has been stretched so much through my work at the church!

My sister-in-law, Suzy had her third child in November of last year. This is the first niece/nephew (in this case, nephew) I've ever been able to be around for right after the birth! I got to see Micah Nathaniel when he was only an hour old!!! I can't express in words how much of a blessing that was for me. My best friend, Donna discovered she was pregnant with her 3rd child shortly after I left CA. She's due next month and I'm so excited to see what the Lord will give her (it's a surprise!) Oh, and my close friends, David & Lela Verdugo had their first grandchild shortly after I moved away.

Well, mom's about got dinner ready so I'd best start closing this down. Which reminds me, I haven't really caught you up till I tell you my parents also had the opportunity to move to AZ last year - shortly after I moved out. For a little while we all lived with my brother, then I found a decent condo to rent and now my folks are living with me. They're hoping to recover from the moving costs and be able to find their own place within the next month or so. Much as I love them, it will be nice to have my own space again - it's been about 8 months since I came home to an empty house and I had kind of gotten used to that peace and quiet :-)

So that's about it for now. I'll try to keep up more now that life is settling down and I can choose to make the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home