.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Eowyn's Heart

The name of this blog is based on the character Eowyn from Lord of the Rings because I strongly identify with her on many levels. The purpose of this blog is to proclaim the glory of my Lord and King through His work in conforming me into the image of His Son, Christ Jesus. In all things, I trust you will see His hand at work.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Meditation Alphabet

Bonnie and I are going through a book titled "Becoming a Woman Who Pleases God." I don't really agree with what the title implies, but that's a whole other topic for another time.

In the book, there's a section titled the "Meditation Alphabet" which takes each letter of the alphabet and lists a characteristic women should develop to make their home a welcoming environment. Each characteristic is followed by a brief description and a verse for meditation. As part of our homework assignment for this week, we are each selecting a letter to focus on during the day - the letter is to be chosen in the morning and the verse reviewed and we are focus on developing that characteristic during the day. We are then to BLog about the results of that focus at the end of each day.

Since we received this assignment on Wednesday, I'm a bit behind in my BLogging - so, here's a bit of "catch up" :-)

Wednesday:
The lettter for today was "A" for "Attitude". "Attitude sets the tone of your home environment. Keep yours positive - focus on
Phil 4:8-9". Since I live alone, I applied this to my work environment for the day. I found I got a lot more accomplished and the attitudes of those around me were more positive. This was not a difficult one for me as work is generally a positive environment anyway, but meditating on the verse - taking every thought captive to the things that are true, honorable, right, lovely, pure, of good repute, things that are excellent and worthy of praise - this did require some effort. It was a good excercise :-)

Thursday:
The letter for today was "Q" - Bonnie picked it for me when I emailed her to ask that she pick a letter for me since I'd rushed out of the house without looking at the book and forgot to bring the book with me. . . . So it was suitable that she selected "Q" - "Quiet Time . . . a daily time of fellowship with your Lord. Psalm 119 teaches what God's Word will do for you." On this one I failed pretty badly. I let the busy-ness of life get in the way of spending time with my Lord and in His Word. I did better the next day.

Friday:
The letter for today was "D" for "Diligent." "Apply enthusiasm to your role as a Home Manager. Allow Proverbs 4:23 to guide you." Again, I applied this primarily to my work environment. It was easy to apply as we had a sales meeting followed by a potluck and it was my job to ensure the potluck got set up and ready to go. The previous day I had set up the decorations and, by applying diligence, the potluck went smoothly. A special blessing was in being able to cover the phones so the receptionist could actually participate - something she never gets to do during potlucks. I'm hoping this will help open the door to sharing Christ with her in more detail in the future.

Saturday:
The letter for today was "P" for "Plan Ahead." "It saves time, money, and energy. Focus on Proverbs 29:18." This was a good day for this letter - I really *needed* to implement it. Since I leave next weekend for vacation, I had much to plan ahead for and accomplish. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being total failure and 10 being exemplary success, I'd say I rated about a 6. Some of the challenges I faced were unexpected and far too time-consuming. Some of the wasted time was my own poor decision making, however, so I can't blame it all on "circumstances" :-P

Sunday:
Today's letter was "F" for "Festive Occasions." "Build an album of precious memories in your home by establishing traditions! Implement the practice of 'memorial stones' (Joshua 4:4-7)."
It's not gonna happen today. When I selected this verse this morning, my intention was to get out my scrapbooks and start placing all the things I have just thrown in there. It's not a total failure though. Just BLogging is a great way to set up a memorial stone. Someday I can look back at these words and be encouraged how God was working in my life. So, I'm not totally discouraged about it :-)

More tomorrow :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home